Published 9:49 a.m. ET July 12, 2019
Costa, a 4-year-old golden retriever, looks and acts like an old dog.
Last September, Costa nearly died from eating a clump of toxic blue-green algae behind the house she shares with her owners, Adam and Ashley Guzi, on the St. Lucie River near Stuart.
"She's lucky to be alive," Ashley Guzi said, "but she hasn't been the same. She wears herself out quickly; her face has turned white, like an old dog's. Before the algae, she was still in her puppy phase; but now she acts like a senior dog."
Costa survived because Guzi took her quickly to a veterinarian who recognized the symptoms of an encounter with toxic algae.
Water hazards for pets
Blue-green algae isn't the only potential toxic threat to your pets in Florida waters. Other algae and bacteria known to make people sick, or even be fatal, can harm pets, too.
Read More CLICK HERE