Lemon water is one of my favorites. I drink this every morning 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed to a juice, include 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, Organic Honey and 1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder with 1 cup warm water. It is one of my favorite morning wake up drinks and the turmeric helps with inflammation in the body. I also include a splash of Coconut oil or olive oil to it - it helps your body absorb the turmeric faster. Stir it well and keep stirring as you are drinking as it will help to make sure the turmeric does not settle on the bottom of the drink.
Reasons for Drinking WARM Lemon Water in the Morning on an Empty Stomach
Lemons and limes are popular citrus fruits that can be used in a variety of ways. They can be used separately or combined with other beneficial ingredients like honey, natural salt, etc. Once found only in health food stores, organic food is now a regular feature at most supermarkets because a number of people are becoming educated on the value of eating “organic” and that is what they are demanding.
First thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything else, wash a lemon (preferably organic) and cut it in half. Squeeze the juice from one lemon half into a large mug or heat-proof cup. Add warm, filtered water (not boiling water which will destroy some of the vitamins and enzymatic properties in the lemon) to the mug. Drink slowly. If possible, drink 3 additional glasses of water either before of after taking the lemon water and wait 30-45 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. This will give your body time to absorb as many nutrients as possible and at the same time to cleanse many toxins from your system.
Reasons for Drinking Lemon Water on an Empty Stomach
1. Lemons are rich in Vitamin C and help strengthen your immune system. Lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties, help fight flu, colds, infections of the respiratory tract, sore throat and inflammation of tonsils. Although people who drink their daily lemon water every day are less likely to get these in the first place.
2. Lemon water helps maintain an alkaline pH, which helps reduce inflammation and prevent the growth of harmful viruses and bacteria that cause disease and infections. Keeping your body pH at 7.0 or higher will also prevent cancer, reduce the risk of diabetes and Alzheimer’s and help with weight loss.
3. Lemons contain pectin fiber which suppresses hunger cravings and is beneficial for the colon by promoting natural bowel movement, and helps boost metabolism and weight loss
4. Drinking lemon water on an empty stomach helps flush out of toxins.
5. Warm water with lemon relieves heartburn and helps digestion as lemon contains citric acid. It interacts with other enzymes and acids which easily stimulate the secretion of gastric juice and digestion.
6. Warm lemon water cleanses the liver and helps the liver produce more enzymes than any other food.
7. Water with lemon helps to dilute uric acid, reducing pain in the joints and muscles and can also help with gout.
8. Lemons freshen your breath and fight mouth bacteria. However, avoid drinking or using the juice undiluted. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so don’t brush your teeth with it, but have a glass of lemon water instead.
9. Lemon juice is a great source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, citric acid, phosphorus and etc. These electrolytes help to keep your body hydrated.
10. Water with lemon aids in proper functioning of the heart and nervous system as lemon has a high content of potassium. Potassium and magnesium show beneficial effects on brain health. It improves brain function, mental clarity and better focus, making it a great drink for students or people with busy and stressful jobs. Depression and anxiety are often the result of low levels of potassium in the blood. Lemon water can give you the boost you need to fight depression and stress.
11. Water with lemon can help lower blood pressure. A daily intake of one lemon can reduce high blood pressure by 10%.
12. Water with lemon helps with tooth pain and gingivitis.
13. Drinking water with lemon regularly (every morning) will improve the condition of your skin.
14. Water with lemon is beneficial for pregnant women. Since lemons are loaded with Vitamin C, it acts as an adaptogen helping the body cope with viruses such as colds. Furthermore, vitamin C helps the formation of bone tissue of the unborn baby. At the same time, due to the high content of potassium, a mixture of water with lemon helps forming cells of the brain and nervous system of the baby.
15. Water with lemon helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits.
16. Lemon water gives you an instant boost of energy and improves your mood right at the start of your day.
17. Lemon juice works as a diuretic to keep your urinary tract toxin-free and because it helps control the growth of harmful bacteria, it is very helpful for people who often suffer from UTI (urinary tract infection).
18. Lemon water helps to reduce mucus and phlegm formation. People who drink cow’s milk are often more prone to mucus production. Starting your day with lemon water can definitely help to lessen mucus if you’re not dairy-free.
19. Finally, freshly squeezed (preferably organic) lemon juice kills cancer cells faster and better than chemotherapy. The best part is that lemon juice only kills the cancer cells and does not kill healthy cells. Chemotherapy on the other hand kills both cancerous and non-cancerous cells.
And for those wanting to kick the coffee habit, many people have succeeded in replacing their morning coffee with warm lemon water. It gives a similar energy boost to wake your body and boost energy as one cup of coffee would.