They said the whole family began vomiting the night of Aug. 16, after a Terminix subcontractor told them it was safe to go back in their house that had been tented for termites.
But while the parents and their 7-year-old daughter recovered, Peyton got worse.
"He was having uncontrollable muscle movements, couldn't stand up, couldn't speak so they took him to local walk-in clinic and the doctor quickly recognized it was probably poisoning from a (fumigation) treatment," said Peyton's uncle Ed Gribben.
He was poisoned with a chemical called "Methyl bromide" which is a substance that is not permitted in the United States for indoor use. More on that later.
St. John poisoning incident has left family severely disabled, says Mapp
By GERRY YANDEL (Daily News Staff)
Published: July 1, 2015
ST. THOMAS - During his press conference Tuesday, Gov. Kenneth Mapp gave a grim update of the status of the Delaware family who were poisoned by pesticide while they vacationed at a rental villa on St. John.
"Unfortunately, I have to give some bad news. The family that were the victims of the poisoning at Sirenusa is not doing well," he said.
"The poison used by Terminix is a toxin to the neuro systems, and it has affected this family horribly."
Mapp also said that Terminix International will be charged criminally, but the U.S. Attorney's Office would not comment about whether a criminal investigation is under way. Source
St John Poisoning Has left the Family severly disabled (Much more info in this article aboout the Pesticide.) Read More
My Thoughts on This:
Terminix will be charged criminally thankfully but that is NOT enough...I can think of some others that should be...and things that need to be done to stop this.
They were poisoned by the same pesticide that has been banned in the US for a long time. It was used in the apartment upstairs and filtered down to their apt. It is odorless and colorless and is a killer.
I am more than outraged... While listening to the news cast about Peyton, it was reported that "Methyl bromide" had been banned in the US since 1984 because of the harmful effects it has on humans. Why is it still being used in the US they asked? Because It is sprayed on crops, food etc to keep bugs off, keep the weeds away and to combat fungus. OMG!! It is still being used on strawberries and much more no doubt. But don't worry they said - there is no danger to us just the pickers of the crops maybe. Now they are thinking about a movement to not use it all. What the heck is there to think about? And it has not been tracked or looked at since 2000..15 years ago.. You have got to be frickin kidding me....EXCUSE ME and ...OMG
And the same holds true with the 2nd family - it was the same drug Methyl Bromide... How many more are there and how many more have to go thru this.
I will share some tips and helpful things you can use in your garden and your homes, later.
I use things like vinegar, corn meal, splenda, essential oils and so many things that are NOT poisonous and do a better job than any pest control company. You must be proactive in keeping all pesticides out of your home to keep you and your family healthy. I make all of my products naturally.
Unless you have an a Good Water Filtration system that has been tested so you know it is safe and clean, then the water you use for showering, bathing, washing dishes, cooking, and drinking is likely to be contaminated with pesticides, herbicides, and other toxins.
I recommend you use a Good filter with fluoride removal - Radiant Life Water Filtration is who I use for all of my filtration needs. They are inexpensive and been around since 1987. Check them out. Do it for yourself and your family. Call me if you want to order so I can give you my companies discount.
There is no doubt in my mind that pesticides, herbicides, toxic metals, plastics, and so much more are affecting our childrens and our mental capacities, and in my case gave me cancer along with 4 other dogs in my neighborhood in 2 months.
Never spray pesticides especially those like DEET containing insect repellents - There are some great essential oils that are amazing in keeping the bugs off and are Safe for your Kids and your family.
Check out my post about removing pesticides from your food - simple, inexpensive ways to do this. Click Here for Removing Pesticides from Your Food.
I will share more later. Keep the families above in your prayers. Have a Great day and Labor Day Weekend.